Tuesday, March 3, 2015

It's how marriages are saved - Raw Mango & Prawn!

Everytime I talk to my amma on the phone, it is a regular practice to ask her what she cooked for lunch or dinner. The only time I curse her on phone, with a wail, "how could you make it when I am not there..." is when she says she made a raw mango and prawn curry. I could eat it, drink it, slurp it down or drown in it. 

The flavours of the raw mango and prawn are married to each other, like a match made in heaven. So before I create a tsunami with my overflowing saliva on the computer, here goes:

Raw Mango & Prawn Curry 

Need
Raw mango - 1 large, peeled and sliced
Prawns - de shelled, cleaned about a cup
Cocum - if the mango is not sour enough

Gravy
Coconut - scraped, about a cup
Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
Green Chilly - 3-4 
Shallots - 4

Mustard Seeds
Curry Leaves

  • Cook the raw mango and prawns till tender. If the raw mango is not sour, you may add cocum slices.
  • Grind ingredients for gravy, and add into the cooked raw mango and prawns.
  • Add half a cup of water, and let it simmer.
  • Season and garnish with spluttered mustard and curry leaves.
  • Enjoy with red rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment